The holiday season can particularly bring out the loneliness felt by LGBTQIA+ people unwelcome in their families, churches or communities. Particularly in light of the violence this past weekend in Colorado Springs just before Transgender Day of Remembrance, we share the grief that many are feeling at this time.
Whether you’re with family of origin, chosen family, or anywhere else today, we hope you know that the love of God and your family in Christ abides with you today.
Below is a list of resources available that may provide additional support during this time. Many of these resources are available for free, 24/7 and specify that you don’t need to feel suicidal to reach out. Trained listeners are prepared to help across a variety of situations with a listening ear and encouragement.
LGBTQ+ Crisis Hotlines
*Not LGBTQ+ specific, but LGBTQ+ affirming
- Trans Lifeline – 877-565-8860
- LGBT National Youth Talkline – 1-800-246-7743
- TrevorLifeline – 1-866-488-7386
- TrevorText – Text START to 678-678
- Lifeline* – 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis Text Line* – Text HOME to 741741 (text HOLA to be connected to a trained Crisis Counselor in Spanish)
- GLBT National Hotline – 1-888-843-4564