Now that the 221st General Assembly (2014) has affirmed the pastoral responsibility of teaching elders and ruling elders commissioned to pastoral service to use their discretion in deciding whether to participate in solemnizing marriages of couples of the same gender and the Directory for Worship (W-4.9000) reflects that openness, demand is growing for liturgical ideas.
The Covenant Network encourages ministers to work with couples to be creative in developing services that reflect and honor their relationships.
We are collecting samples and sources, and invite you to contribute your own; if you are willing to contribute liturgies, prayers, and other resources you have used (or plan to) to this collection, please send to Tricia Dykers Koenig, [email protected]
Resources from Presbyterians
- Inclusive Marriage Services: A Wedding Sourcebook, edited by Kimberly Bracken Long and David Maxwell, from Westminster John Knox Press
- Inclusive Statement on the Gift of Marriage
- “We Gather Together (A Wedding Hymn)” by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette
- A traditional liturgy
From the United Church of Christ
From the Episcopal Church
- Archive from the Episcopal Church Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music
- “I Will Bless You, and You Will Be a Blessing: Resources for The Witnessing and Blessing of a Lifelong Covenant in a Same-Sex Relationship” — includes theological background and resources for pre-marital counseling; liturgical resources begin on page 76, and are also available in book form.
- Oasis Congregation Resources
From the Uniting Church in Australia
Ecumenical and Interfaith
- Equal Rites: Lesbian and Gay Worship, Ceremonies and Celebrations, Cherry and Sherwood