Voting in the presbyteries has affirmed the Marriage Amendment, 14-F, approved by a 71% majority of the 221st General Assembly. The new language of W-4.9000 became part of the Directory for Worship in the Book of Order on June 21, 2015.
Session Marriage Policies
The Office of the General Assembly has provided thoughts on Same Gender Marriage after Supreme Court: Obergefell v. Hodges.
Biblical and Theological Perspectives:
- Mark Achtemeier shares reflections from The Bible’s Yes to Same-Sex Marriage: An Evangelical’s Change of Heart in a four-session video series hosted by Brian Ellison.
- Tricia Dykers Koenig offers a brief introduction for those seeking biblical support for same-sex marriage.
- Overture Advocates for an amendment of W-4.9000 addressed the Committee on Civil Unions and Marriage of the 221st GA.
- Marc Benton explains his change of heart and mind from being an active opponent of same-gender marriage to seeking forgiveness for his actions.
- The Rev. Dr. Mark Achtemeier addressed the Covenant Network Luncheon at the 221st General Assembly, sharing a taste of his new book, The Bible’s Yes to Same-Sex Marriage: An Evangelical’s Change of Heart, and illustrating the “Gospel emergency” caused by anti-gay teaching.
- A downloadable 4-session Study Guide for The Bible’s Yes to Same-Sex Marriage has been published by Westminster John Knox Press.
- Mark Achtemeier explored biblical insights into marriage in two addresses at regional conferences, “The Plan-B God” and “The Redemption of Our Bodies.”
- Tricia Dykers Koenig lists what Amendment 14-F does and doesn’t do.
- Brian Ellison discusses what’s at stake in Amendment 14-F in “Why Marriage Matters Now: Thoughts as the Church Talks About Same-Sex Marriage.”
- Tricia Dykers Koenig writes about “Why the Marriage Amendment Matters” even though the authoritative interpretation of W-4.9000 by the 221st GA has already clarified that pastors may use their discretion to officiate at any legal marriage.
- David Myers makes “The Christian Case for Gay Marriage” at the 2010 Covenant Conference.
- Terry Diggory explores “Reading the Bible in the Same-Sex Marriage Debate.”
- Jeff Krehbiel preached a sermon series exploring five texts related to human sexuality.
- Ken Cuthbertson reflects on anticipating the presbytery meeting.
- Tricia Dykers Koenig analyzes “Marriage and The Book of Confessions.”
- In 2006 the Covenant Network published Frequently Asked Questions about Sexuality, the Bible & the Church: Plain Talk About Tough Issues; all the essays are available online.
- The Office of the General Assembly has provided a page on Marriage: Discernment and Engagement, Information and Resources.
Overview of Marriage Issues at the 221st General Assembly:
- Frequently Asked Questions About Actions by the 221st General Assembly (2014) Concerning Marriage details the decisions made by the Assembly issuing an authoritative interpretation and proposing an amendment of W-4.9000.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Marriage Issues at the 221st General Assembly addressed some common misunderstandings prior to the General Assembly.
- The Office of the General Assembly has provided an overview, GA221 on Marriage.
- The OGA’s Advisory Opinion, “Actions of the 221st General Assembly (2014) on Marriage,” responds to some questions.
Information on the 221st General Assembly’s Authoritative Interpretation of W-4.9000:
- Overture Advocates for an authoritative interpretation of W-4.9000 addressed the Committee on Civil Unions and Marriage of the 221st GA.
- Attorney Tim Cahn explains Why the Church Needs a New AI Clarifying that Officiating Ecclesiastical Marriage Services for Same-Gender Couples is Not an Offense.
- National Organizer Tricia Dykers Koenig details the history leading to the current polity in “A Pastoral Emergency: The Polity Crisis Around Same-Gender Marriage.”
- Executive Director Brian Ellison explains “Why an Authoritative Interpretation Matters.”
- Tricia Dykers Koenig clarifies “The Significance of an Authoritative Interpretation on Marriage.”
“Christian Marriage in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)” — A Study
- The Covenant Network has prepared Supplemental Resources for the study “Christian Marriage in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.),” which was mandated by the 221st General Assembly (2012) and prepared by the Office of Theology and Worship of the Presbyterian Mission Agency.
- The Rev. Ken Cuthbertson has shared an adaptation of the Office of Theology and Worship’s 6-week Christian marriage study, designed for 50-minute classes.
Related posts on the Covenant Network site are available under the Marriage and Civil Unions category, and on the page archiving the presentations made at the 2013 Covenant Conference, “Marriage Matters.“