In this crucial time in church and culture, the Covenant Network remains committed to serving the church, believing that Jesus Christ has already made us one and that we are better equipped to carry out our larger ministry and witness when we are together. With the help of God’s grace, the Covenant Network of Presbyterians is called to strengthen the Church of Jesus Christ
- by working for the unity of the church, seeking understanding and reconciliation, listening to voices long silenced, and fearlessly engaging in conversations for the sake of faithfulness to the gospel of Jesus Christ;
- by furthering the inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer (LGBTQ) persons in the church;
- and by joining with others seeking a still more just and inclusive church by offering prophetic witness, developing theological resources, and cultivating partnerships for learning and action.
As individuals and congregations committed to the Covenant Network of Presbyterians, we are called to:
- Serve the PC(USA), supporting its mission, honoring its historic understanding that “God alone is Lord of the conscience,” and by God’s grace, working for the unity of the church.
- Bear witness to Christ’s love with kindness and compassion in the midst of conflict as we seek to live together with differences in perspectives, beliefs, and practices.
- Welcome in the name of Christ all whom God calls into community and leadership in God’s church, including LGBTQ persons.
- Ensure that sessions and presbyteries are able to ordain those called and gifted by God.
- Provide support for LGBTQ members and friends, and comfort those wounded by former church policies and practices.
- Commit financial resources to this ministry generously and regularly.
Approved by the Board of Directors, May 2015