Gratitude for the Passage of Amendment 10-A

Statement by the Board of Directors
Covenant Network of Presbyterians
May 10, 2011

The Covenant Network of Presbyterians is deeply grateful for the passage of Amendment 10-A, which replaces a contested sexual ethic in the Presbyterian Church’s ordination standards and reaffirms the Lordship of Jesus Christ in all aspects of life.  This is a change for which we and many others have worked for years.  We rejoice that gay and lesbian Presbyterians, gifted and called by God, are now able to serve more openly in ordained office.   We believe that the church will be strengthened by this change.

At the same time, we recognize that Presbyterians are not of one mind about the wisdom of this reform and the interpretation of scripture in matters of sexual ethics. Amendment 10-A permits Presbyterians to hold and respect diverse views. The Covenant Network has always had the unity of the church as one of its primary goals. We therefore will continue to promote dialogue and shared mission across the church.  We pray that all Presbyterians may strengthen and support one another, witnessing to the Gospel, promoting reconciliation through Jesus Christ, and working together to realize the reign of God in all creation.

Comments

1. I feel it’s important to include bisexual, transgender, queer and intersexed folks when sharing this news as well. Peace be with you and thank you for your faithful work.

2. John Wolf says:

“How many gays does God have to make before people realize He wants them here?” This was a question/statement made by a Wayseer on the Wayseers.com (or perhaps their ‘Wayseers.org’) site. I think it’s a point well taken.

3. Thanks be to God! The work of so many has born fruit. At times it seemed so easy just to drop out and move to another denomination. But there was always someone to say “hang in there.” For me, that person was Janie Spahr. Thank you, Janie.

And thanks and Godspeed to Pam as she moves along her journey. Well done, good and faithful servant.

For those who are so disappointed or angry at the outcome of the vote on this amendment, we would also say, “hang in there.” We want you to stay in the PCUSA. There is so much you have to offer. We pray that God’s spirit will lead you to this conclusion and that we all now together can get about the mission and ministry of God’s people in the Church of Jesus Christ.

4. Jim Caraher says:

If I was a Presbyterian, it wouldn’t bother me a bit that gays will now be full, honored participants in all aspects of church life. It would bother me immensely that my church officially now has nothing to say to a sex drenched culture on God’s counsel to us as sexual beings. It would bother me immensely that my church appears to lack the moral courage of the Lutheran revisionists who were crystal clear on what they were asking Lutherans to embrace – “publicly accountable, lifelong, monogamous same gender relationships.” Would any serious, conscientious Christian really want to be part of a church that has as little to say on race and gender as your church now has to say on the subject of sex?

5. We appreciate the efforts of so many to pass this amendment, however, it cannot change the hearts of people.

6. Nancy Sowers Whiteley says:

I, too, am rejoicing in the passage of this amendment! Yet I know that many will continue speaking out against it. And some may even consider leaving the PCUSA because of it. However, I believe many others will return to the church because we are saying, “All are welcome here!” And this statement will tell the world we really mean it.
    Thank you to everyone who has worked so hard and prayed so faithfully.
    Let us continue to pray and to love one another as we agree to disagree.
    Thanks be to God!!!

7. Rev. Gordon Webster says:

As an honorably retired Co-Pastor of Downtown United Presbyterian Church, Rochester, NY, I praise God for this day ! The five years Pat Youngdahl and I served DUPC as Co-Pastors were the best years of my professional life. Janie Spahr and Lisa Larges of That All May Freely Serve (TAMFS) were our partners in mission and treasured friends. May 10-A is a day for thanksgiving and celebration. No longer will our beloved Presbyterian Church use its Constitution to be unloving to its sons and daughters, who happen to have been created by God as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. O happy day !

8. I too join with the Covenant Network, More Light Presbyterians and all the other groups and individuals…now that 10-A has been ratified! I shared some of my own thoughts on my own blog Pomomusings here:

9. Mary Raine says:

I personally struggle with the change in these ordination standards. However, I want to thank the Covenant Network for their grace-filled response. I look forward to continued opportunities to share ministry and dialogue in the name of Jesus Christ.

10. Carolyn Puccio says:

Thank you for your perseverance and courageous work… you inspire me and your passing of the amendment gives me hope.

Trackbacks

1. […] Gratitude for the Passage of Amendment 10a – The Covenant Network […]

2. […] Covenant Network: Gratitude for the Passage of Amendment 10-A […]

Comments will go through moderation before they are posted. Those wishing to leave a comment must include their full name and a working email address, and all comments must be respectful and civil. Personal, ad hominem, or anonymous comments will not be allowed.